If you already have installed and use a water softener (or even a water conditioner) in your home then only when you travel might be the only occasions when you still have to use hard water.
If you have wished you could keep enjoying softer water when you are on the road, perhaps on a camping trip or when staying at a hotel or someone else’s home, then maybe the Watts RV PRO-1000 Portable Water Softener is what you were looking for.
The Watts RV PRO-1000 Portable Water Softener is a completely portable water softener, which means a couple different things: first, it is will not be precisely suitable for use at your home and this is not what it was designed for, but its smaller and compact size make it perfect to use on the go, you can quickly and easily install it on an RV or in your hotel room and uninstall it in a few minutes when you are ready to leave, and you will be able to pack it almost anywhere.
Its price starts at $195 USD.
Some advantages of the Watts RV PRO-1000 Portable Water Softener are:
- It is portable and compact. Being a portable unit its size is extremely small, it is only 21” high and has a diameter of 9 ½” and weighs around 24 pounds.
- It is very efficient. Despite its small size, it will turn any water, no matter how hard it is, into the soft and crisp water you like. The RV PRO-1000 Portable Water Softener even includes a set of test strips that will allow you to test the hardness of the water and compare it to the level of hardness the softener yields.
- It is very stable. The RV PRO-1000 Portable Water Softener has a wide base making very stable when travelling in an RV.
- It regenerates very quickly. The RV PRO-1000 Portable Water Softener has a built-in flow restrictor which allows it to increase its capacity by almost 55% and reduce regeneration times to just 20 minutes.
- It is very inexpensive to run and maintain. It has a strong design, good quality and smaller size with fewer components and pieces, which means that fewer things can go wrong and it is less likely to break down, which of course means less costs in repairing and maintenance. Besides, it can work with salt pellets or even with regular table salt.
- It has a high capacity and flow rate. Besides being efficient, and despite its compact physical size, it is also powerful and can sustain 4 gallons per minute and an extremely small pressure drop.
- It has a 10 year warranty
Some of the disadvantages of the RV PRO-1000 Portable Water Softener are:
- This is not so much of a disadvantage, but it simply will not be very useful for a larger household, it is designed to be portable and this is where it excels.
- You have to manually start a regeneration cycle. Given its compact size and fewer parts it does not have an automatic regeneration cycle function and can’t be programmed to do that, so every once in a while you will have to check it and manually begin a regeneration cycle.
In conclusion, the RV PRO-1000 Portable Water Softener is a portable unit meant for traveling, and it is almost perfect at that, it will not be useful in a home (especially not a larger one) but it is not designed for that, so if you are looking for something when you travel or stay temporarily in someone else’s place, then this is the perfect unit for you, and (because of its lower cost) it is worth considering even if you live alone or in a smaller household. (Note that if you need a water filter, then you will need some additional units.)