If you have problems with hard water or if you had problems with hard water and bad smells in your shower but have tried and now always use a water softener (but still have no soft water in the shower), then a Shower Head Water Softener will be one of those articles of modern life that you simply will not be able to live without. It is one of these pleasures you did not know and in a short time become used to.
As you might imagine, a Shower Head Water Softener is an individual small-sized softener (some of which also have a filter) designed to work for a single faucet in this case the one in your shower head. This based in some studies from the NRDC (Natural Resource Defense Council).
Many people, who use a water softener, have compact unit with a limited capacity and output designed to cover a single faucet and they drink water and clean or do other chores with that; obviously that will not cover their bathroom something for which a Whole house system is necessary. But a Whole house system can be very expensive, which leaves them out of the question if your budget is limited, and most require some maintenance and sometimes the help of a professional to set it up. Besides, in certain counties (mostly in California), Whole house systems are not allowed for these trap all the salts in water for a certain amount of time and then release them in a concentrated waste, which is potentially harmful for the environment as it may add more salt to the water table. Additionally, if you do not own the place where you live (like people who live in an apartment or condominium) or if you have a small household, then investing in a Whole house system would make little sense.
It is in those cases that a Shower Head Water Softener is a perfect alternative. Most of the water consumed in a home is used in the bathroom and in the kitchen, so if you already have a water softener in your kitchen and you just add another one for your shower, you will cover most of the water used in your home without the need for a Whole house system.
And if you already own a small unit in your kitchen for a single faucet and you are thinking that taking care of two units (replacement of filters, maintenance, installation of two separate units, etc.) would be a hassle, then you should know that a Shower head water softener is a very small unit which only needs filter replacements twice a year in average; and you should also remember that any potential downside is offset by the benefits of using soft water in the shower.
Some of the advantages of using a Shower Head Water Softener are:
- Protecting your skin, hair and nails from the effects of chlorine, which can dry and irritate them
- Avoiding the formation of soap curd, which makes soap much less effective, requires much more water to wash it off and may also irritate your skin and hair
- Avoiding the effects of hard water on your hair, which makes it look dull, lifeless and hard to manage
- Avoiding the formation of scale inside your shower head which may reduce a 75% of its flow in 18 months with hard water
- Avoid the formation of scale inside your shower or tub, and saving time and money cleaning it
- Most of the newer models are extremely easy to install and you would just need to remove your old shower head and put the new one in the same joint
- The filters of most models are very inexpensive and have a good yield, so they don’t need to be replaced every couple months
- If you live inside California, then you can use these devices because you are not going to be able to use a water softener system inside California.
Some of the disadvantages are:
- They obviously will cover a single shower, so if you have 2 or more bathrooms then you should really consider a Whole house system
- The filter replacements have to be done more frequently than with a Water softener but it can be done easily and quickly, plus they are not expensive
|Culligan ISH-100 Level 2 Inline Shower filter||Culligan Wall-Mount 10,000 Gallon Filtered Shower Head||The Johathan Product Beauty Water Shower Purification System||Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter with Adjustable Shower head||WaterChef SF-7C Premium Shower Filter|
|Size (inches)||3.5 x 7.5 x 10||5 x 9 x 13||2 x 2 x 2||8.5 x 7.2 x 3.2||3.5 x 12 x 12|
|Cost of filter||$10-$20||$10-$20||$30-$50||$40-$50||$20-$40|
|Users rating||4.5 Stars||4.7 Stars||4.5 Stars||4 Stars||4 Stars|