As you may or may not know, all the water softeners work by attracting the salts and minerals out of the hard water and disposing of them down the drain and (without going into the specifics of this mechanism) they do so using a combination of resin pellets and salt, which the user must replenish periodically for the water softener to work. The goal is to prevent the formation of scales and buildup in pipes and other devices and to improve the function of soap and detergent.
There are other slightly different types of devices that fulfill that same function but by different means: they do not get rid of the excess of salts and minerals that cause hardness, they just render them harmless. They accomplish this by simply sending the water through a magnetic field that changes the conformation of the salts and minerals, rendering them harmless temporarily (for 48 hours). So, technically they are not water softeners; instead they are known as water conditioners, a more appropriate name.
The Eddy Electronic Water Descaler is not one of the traditional systems, it is a water conditioner.
Some advantages of the Eddy Electric Water Descaler are:
- Its small and compact size. Since it only uses a couple of coils around a pipe to create a magnetic field, it does not have all the parts and pieces of a traditional water softener and so it has a much reduced size. Its dimensions are 6.7 x 1.6 x 3.5 inches and it weighs less than 2 pounds.
- It is very inexpensive. Given that it has fewer parts and pieces and because its simplicity, it costs less than a traditional water softener. It also consumes less electricity than a traditional water softener.
- Easy to install and use. Again, it is just a couple of coils around the main pipe of your house, so you do not need many tools to install it and you do not even need to cut the water flow in the pipe in which you will install it (indeed, it is a completely electric device and if it gets wet, it might break down with a short-circuit); you can receive it and start using it in a couple minutes.
- You will receive the full health advantages of hard water, because it does not get rid of it (unless, for health reasons, you are on a low-sodium diet, in which case you might prefer a traditional water softener).
- The Eddy Electric Water Descaler has a lifetime warranty.
Some of the disadvantages of the Eddy Electric Water Descaler are:
- The main disadvantage as seen above, a water conditioner only delays the harmful effects of hard water, and I say delay because the effects it has over the salts and minerals only lasts 48 hours at most.
- It has to be installed indoors.
- It simply will not be of much help if you have a serious problem with hard water. If the water in your home has a hardness of 8 GPG or more then you will have to get a water softener.
- It also simply will not work in bigger households or if the water use of your home is too big. Forget about buying it if you have more than 2 bathrooms.
In conclusion, the Eddy Electric Water Descaler with its revolutionary new mechanism has lots of very attractive advantages that sound very tempting, and if you have a small household, with a very limited problem of hardness with your water and you do not want to spend more on a traditional water softener or in maintaining it, then the Eddy Electric Water Descaler is definitely worth a look and your consideration; besides, with its 12 month full money back guarantee there is literally nothing to lose in trying it. But if you have a more serious problem with water hardness or a bigger home, then you simply need a regular water softener.